12th episode of the second season of Glee
“Foolish Love Songs” is the twelfth episode of the second season of the American musical tv sequence Glee, and the thirty-fourth total. The Valentine’s Day-themed episode was written by sequence creator Ryan Murphy, directed by Tate Donovan, and premiered on Fox on February 8, 2011. On this episode, Director Will Schuester (Matthew Morrison) assigns the McKinley Excessive Faculty glee membership to carry out love songs in honor of Valentine’s Day. Membership member Finn Hudson (Cory Monteith) units up a kissing sales space for the event, to make the most of his rising recognition and lift cash for the membership. On the Dalton Academy, Blaine Anderson (Darren Criss) and the Dalton Academy Warblers make plans to carry out a musical quantity outdoors of the campus, and Kurt Hummel (Chris Colfer) confesses his love for Blaine.
“Foolish Love Songs” was met with essential acclaim, with a lot of the reward stemming from the character improvement and the musical performances. Melissa Maerz of the Los Angeles Instances, Emily VanDerWerff of The A.V. Membership, and Lisa de Moraes of The Washington Put up all deemed the storyline as entertaining, whereas Joel Keller of the TV Squad went on to name the episode “the perfect episode of the season.” The episode options cowl variations of six songs, together with a canopy of “P.Y.T.” by Michael Jackson and “My Humorous Valentine” from the musical Babes in Arms. Lots of the covers and performances have been met with constructive reception from critics and followers alike, with a lot of the reward going to the Glee covers of “Fats Bottomed Women” by Queen and “Foolish Love Songs” by Paul McCartney, respectively. All songs aside from “My Humorous Valentine” have been launched as singles and made obtainable for digital obtain.
Upon its preliminary airing, the episode was watched by slightly below 11.58 million American viewers, and it garnered a 4.6/13 Nielsen ranking/share within the 18–49 demographic. Each the full viewership and rankings have been considerably down from the earlier episode, “The Sue Sylvester Shuffle“, which aired instantly after the Tremendous Bowl.
Glee membership director Will Schuester (Matthew Morrison) provides New Instructions a love track project. Having fallen for the group’s latest member Lauren Zizes (Ashley Fink), Puck (Mark Salling) serenades her with Queen‘s “Fats Bottomed Women“. Lauren finds his track selection insulting and stands him up on a pre-Valentine’s date, however ultimately agrees to spend Valentine’s Day with him as buddies.
Artie Abrams (Kevin McHale) and Mike Chang (Harry Shum Jr.) have a good time their respective relationships by performing Michael Jackson‘s “P.Y.T. (Fairly Younger Factor)” for his or her girlfriends, Brittany Pierce (Heather Morris) and Tina Cohen-Chang (Jenna Ushkowitz). Tina later begins to sing “My Humorous Valentine” to Mike, however is just too overcome with emotion, and begins to cry whereas persevering with to sing.
Finn Hudson (Cory Monteith) units up a kissing sales space, to make the most of his recognition within the hope of kissing his ex-girlfriend Quinn Fabray (Dianna Agron). He additionally needs to donate the proceeds to the glee membership. Quinn initially refuses to purchase a kiss from Finn, however does so on the insistence of her boyfriend Sam Evans (Chord Overstreet), who’s suspicious of their relationship. The kiss additional re-ignites Finn and Quinn’s emotions for each other, and so they start an affair. Santana Lopez (Naya Rivera), offended for having lately had her dangerous habits highlighted by the opposite membership members, conspires to offer them mono and reveal Quinn’s infidelity. Finn’s most up-to-date ex-girlfriend Rachel Berry (Lea Michele) is dismayed by his renewed emotions for Quinn, however resolves to focus on her profession as a substitute of romance, and leads the feminine New Instructions members in a efficiency of Katy Perry‘s “Firework“.
At Dalton Academy, a non-public college attended by former New Instructions member Kurt Hummel (Chris Colfer), the article of his affection Blaine Anderson (Darren Criss) proclaims his intention to sing a love track to his crush. Kurt believes that Blaine has emotions for him, so is upset when his crush seems to be Jeremiah (Alexander Nifong), the assistant supervisor at an area Hole retailer. The Dalton Academy Warblers accompany Blaine as he serenades Jeremiah with Robin Thicke‘s “Once I Get You Alone“. Jeremiah is subsequently fired and rebuffs Blaine. Kurt confesses his emotions to Blaine, who tells Kurt that he cares for him however is horrible at romance, and doesn’t wish to danger damaging their friendship. The episode ends with New Instructions assembled at Breadstix, an area restaurant, the place the Warblers carry out the titular “Foolish Love Songs“.
“Foolish Love Songs” was first introduced by Glee co-creator Ryan Murphy in an interview with a German journalist. The identify of the episode and its airdate have been introduced shortly after the announcement of the present getting a short-term hiatus as a result of numerous forged members contracting the flu. Inspiration for the episode could also be partially associated to a lobbying effort by Paul McCartney to have covers of songs by The Beatles integrated into Glee. In an interview with numerous reporters on the 2010 Teen Selection Awards, Murphy revealed that he acquired a mixtape that was despatched from McCartney, who’s reportedly a fan of the sequence. Recurring characters who seem on this episode embrace glee membership members Mike Chang (Harry Shum, Jr.), Sam Evans (Chord Overstreet), and Lauren Zizes (Ashley Fink), soccer coach Shannon Beiste (Dot-Marie Jones), and Blaine Anderson (Darren Criss) the lead singer of the Dalton Academy Warblers.
“Foolish Love Songs” options cowl variations of six songs: Katy Perry’s “Firework”, Queen’s “Fats Bottomed Women”, Michael Jackson’s “P.Y.T. (Fairly Younger Factor)”, “My Humorous Valentine” from the musical Babes in Arms, “Once I Get You Alone” by Robin Thicke, and “Foolish Love Songs” by Paul McCartney and his band Wings. This was the fourth time a track by Katy Perry was utilized in a Glee episode, with the earlier covers being “I Kissed a Lady” within the pilot, “Teenage Dream” on the episode “By no means Been Kissed” and “California Gurls” on the earlier episode “The Sue Sylvester Shuffle“. All songs aside from “My Humorous Valentine” have been launched as singles and made obtainable for digital obtain. All 5 singles have been included on Glee soundtrack albums: “Firework”, “P.Y.T. (Fairly Younger Factor)”, and “Fats Bottomed Women” have been featured within the sixth soundtrack album, Glee: The Music, Quantity 5, whereas “Foolish Love Songs” and “Once I Get You Alone” have been featured on the seventh, Glee: The Music Presents the Warblers.
“Foolish Love Songs” was initially broadcast in the USA on Fox on February 8, 2011. It acquired slightly below 11.58 million American viewers upon its preliminary airing, regardless of airing concurrently with NCIS on CBS, The Largest Loser on NBC, No Extraordinary Household on ABC, and One Tree Hill on The CW. It garnered a 4.6/13 Nielsen ranking/share within the 18–49 demographic, the best ranking of the evening. This episode’s whole viewership and rankings have been considerably down from the earlier episode, “The Sue Sylvester Shuffle“, which was watched by over 26.Eight million American viewers and acquired an 11.1/29 ranking/share within the 18–49 demographic.
In Canada, the place it additionally aired on February 8, 2011, the episode was watched by over 2.08 million viewers. It ranked quantity ten within the most-watched tv packages of the week. The whole viewership barely declined from the earlier episode, which attained 2.16 million viewers, in addition to being the ninth most-watched tv program of the week. In Australia, the place the episode aired on February 21, 2011, it was seen by 921,000 viewers upon its preliminary airing. It was the eleventh most-watched program on the evening. The episode’s whole viewership declined at a marginal charge from the earlier episode, which drew 1.13 million viewers, and was the fourth most-watched program of the evening and the most-watched within the 18–49 demographic. It positioned tenth within the weekly viewership rankings. Within the UK, the episode was watched by 2.629 million viewers (2.233 million on E4, and 396,000 on E4+1), changing into the most-watched present on E4 and E4 +1 for the week, and the most-watched present on cable for the week.
“Foolish Love Songs” was met with essential acclaim from many tv critics upon its preliminary airing. Erica Futterman of Rolling Stone gave a really constructive overview of the episode, and wrote, “This was our favourite kind of Glee episode. Although we take pleasure in over-the-top spectacles […], the present’s actual cleverness shines after they take songs from throughout the board and match them right into a cohesive storyline. Sue Sylvester did not make an look and—dare we are saying it—we did not even miss her.” Bobby Hankinson of the Houston Chronicle loved the episode, occurring to jot down, “I believed it was a robust exhibiting, if a bit disjointed. Properly, at the least it was sincere. If this present is one factor, it is disjointed. It is a part of its spazzy attraction.” Melissa Maerz of the Los Angeles Instances gave the episode a constructive overview: “On Tuesday evening, Glee wasn’t solely again at its traditional time, it was again to doing what it does greatest: giving us entertaining […] storylines involving characters we care about who sing songs that emerge organically and advance the story. It was like an ideal heart-shaped bubble of an episode reminding the present’s followers about all of the issues we’ve missed concerning the present these final couple of months.”
Robert Canning of IGN additionally gave the episode a constructive overview, and opined, “With the dissing of glee membership briefly placed on maintain, Glee the sequence was in a position to have a bit enjoyable with Tuesday evening’s episode. And enjoyable it was, with the gang of New Instructions taking up Valentine’s Day, with flirting, kissing and, after all, singing. With out the bullying, this was a a lot lighter episode of Glee, and the outcomes gave option to much more laughs and story improvement.” He went on to reward Ashley Fink’s efficiency as Lauren Zizes, and stated of Puck’s falling in love with Lauren, “I can not determine if I wish to root for this couple, however I definitely know I will be rooting for Lauren.” Canning finally gave the episode an 8.5 out of 10. Wyndham Wyeth of Paste went on to reward the episode for its depiction of relationships in highschool, in addition to the backing vocals for Salling’s efficiency of “Fats Bottomed Women” by Queen. Emily VanDerWerff of The A.V. Membership gave the episode a constructive overview and a grade of “A−”: “‘Foolish Love Songs’ is a high quality instance of the present at what’s very practically its very best. There’s nothing too heady right here, but when the present has one tone that it is nailed nearly utterly persistently, it’s the sensation of teenage romance, the sense that the particular person you are in love with is the one particular person you’ll ever be in love with […] adopted nearly instantly by the crippling feeling of heartbreak, of shedding that particular person too quickly. Teenage life strikes quick and is crammed with heightened feelings. And like most musicals, Glee has at all times been at its greatest when it embraces these two sides of its characters’ lives. As such, ‘Foolish Love Songs’, which is just about simply an excuse to mess around with the present’s many romantic pairings amongst its glee membership characters, is quite a lot of enjoyable with out making an attempt all that arduous.” In conclusion of her overview, she wrote, “The very best episodes play that elation and devastation off of one another. The worst episodes flounder about for some form of emotional foothold. However when Glee simply tells small, candy tales about these youngsters and the methods they’re making an attempt to deal with being in highschool after they know they’re meant for greater issues, it may be terrific. Tonight was a kind of episodes, and tonight’s episode was terrific. Here is to an excellent February sweeps.”
Matt Richenthal of TV Fanatic gave the episode a 4.6 out of 5 stars, and went on to explain the episode as “A humorous, touching, entertaining Glee episode that did not function a single line from Sue Sylvester? I by no means thought I might see the day. However that is precisely what transpired on ‘Foolish Love Songs’, because the present stopped feeling like a Public Service Announcement for per week and really centered on well-paced, well-written relationship developments amongst its core characters.” Joel Keller of TV Squad gave the episode a constructive overview, and wrote, “‘Foolish Love Songs’ strikes an fascinating distinction to Sunday evening’s post-Tremendous Bowl episode in that tonight was extra concerning the youngsters and the place they’re of their tales than about huge manufacturing numbers and Sue’s cartoon evilness. It was additionally the funniest episode of the season, in no small half as a result of we obtained some perception into the lives of two New Instructions members we not often get to hang around with for any size of time: Santana and Lauren.” James Poniewozik of Time Journal praised the storyline and the musical performances of the episode. Nonetheless, Soraya Roberts of the Every day Information gave the episode a destructive overview: “This present generally sounds prefer it was written by a PIT, prime fool TV author. It is nearly as dangerous as Tina breaking down into tears for no motive whereas singing ‘My Humorous Valentine’ to Mike and Blaine trying to channel Frank Sinatra whereas singing Paul McCartney’s ‘Foolish Love Songs’ in the course of Breadsticks.” Lisa de Moraes of The Washington Put up praised the storyline, calling it cohesive.
The musical covers and performances for the episode have been principally effectively acquired by critics and followers alike. Sandra Gonzalez of Leisure Weekly said that her favourite was “Foolish Love Songs” by Paul McCartney, carried out by the Warblers. In a overview of the efficiency, she wrote, “That is way more Warbler-esque than ‘Once I Get You Alone’. I had additionally been nervous we would not get our weekly dose of dorky Warbler dance strikes. Plus, main factors for the blink-and-you’ll-miss-it second when Blaine sang the love ‘will not come in any respect’ line to Santana. It was most likely my private largest laugh-out-loud second of the episode.” She gave the efficiency an “A”. She additionally praised Puck’s efficiency of “Fats Bottomed Women”, and opined, “Usually, I am in love with Mark Salling’s voice. He is proper up there with Artie […] in my e book. And this track was smothered in superior sauce. Bonus factors for Puck’s sort-of-feminine head bob, Brittany’s background groovin’, the membership’s reactions to him singing to Lauren, and Mr. Schu’s delicate eye-roll.” She went on to offer the efficiency an “A−”. Kristin Coachman of the Seattle Put up-Intelligencer was a bit extra essential of Puck’s cowl of the track: “This week Mark Salling […] is singing Queen’s ‘Fats Bottomed Women’. I do know this track suits in with Puck’s storyline for the episode, however I really feel just like the track was within the improper key for him. At occasions it gave the impression of he was straining to hit the upper notes. Due to this, I’ve to marvel if the backing vocals are purposely drowning his voice out. It appears relying on the track choice for him, Salling’s vocal performances proceed to be very hit and miss this season.”
Tina’s cowl of “My Humorous Valentine” stirred combined feelings in Gonzalez. She criticized the ending: “When she began sobbing, it obtained bizarre. Then weirder. Then downright uncomfortable.” Nonetheless, she preferred the sooner a part of the efficiency, and wrote, “It was übersweet when Tina began getting choked up throughout her track, as a result of let’s face it, it occurs. You’ll be able to love somebody a lot it hurts. If she would have continued the track with a gentle lump in her throat, I feel I may need gotten choked up together with her.”
Rachel’s cowl of “Firework” by Katy Perry was reviewed negatively by Coachman. She wrote, “I am not loving Michele’s vocals on this observe. It was like they needed to purposely make her sound like Katy Perry. As a lot as I actually like Katy Perry, Michele has extra of an amazing voice. There are elements the place I believed she sounded actually nice, however for essentially the most half this track simply wasn’t my cup of tea. Michele has such a lovely voice; I want she was given songs that will permit her to showcase it to her benefit.” Katie Morgan of Billboard gave a constructive overview of the Warblers’ efficiency of “Foolish Love Songs”, writing, “Not solely do they sound nice […], however the track brings a sugary candy finish to a super-saccharine episode.” The Marquee Weblog at CNN gave the music numbers a constructive overview. A notable section reads: “I simply liked seeing The Warblers get their groove on amidst the denims and cotton T-shirts. And Kurt was tremendous gracious making an attempt to be supportive of Blaine, regardless of his personal emotions. I additionally completely liked the music […] and total this was one in every of my favourite episodes this season. Brett Berk of Vainness Honest praised Salling’s efficiency of “Fats Bottomed Women”, in addition to the casts’ performances of “P.Y.T.” by Michael Jackson and “Once I get You Alone” by Robin Thicke. Erica Futterman of Rolling Stone gave Salling’s efficiency a constructive overview. She wrote, “We have been totally entertained by Puck’s try and win beginner Lauren Zizes over along with his tribute to her bigger determine. Solely in Puck’s world would Queen’s raucous track qualify as a serenade—and our horror-turned-amusement was mirrored on his fellow New Instructions’ faces. Puck is not any Freddie Mercury, however he handles the melody effectively and makes up for lack of vary with swagger.”
Chart historical past
All 5 of the duvet variations launched as singles debuted on the Billboard Scorching 100, and appeared on different musical charts. With these new Scorching 100 debuts, plus the debut the identical week of “She’s Not There” from the prior episode “The Sue Sylvester Shuffle”, which had aired two days earlier than “Foolish Love Songs”, the Glee Forged handed Elvis Presley’s document of 108 singles on the Scorching 100, reaching 113 singles. The forged had 9 songs on the Scorching 100 that week, a brand new document for them. The present’s rendition of “Firework” debuted at quantity thirty-four; it was at quantity thirty-five on the Billboard Canadian Scorching 100. The opposite 4 songs from this episode on the Scorching 100 have been “Foolish Love Songs” at quantity forty-five, which additionally made quantity fifty-four on the Canadian Scorching 100, “Once I Get You Alone” at quantity forty-seven, which additionally made quantity sixty-one on the Canadian Scorching 100, “Fats Bottomed Women” at quantity fifty-six, which additionally made quantity fifty on the Canadian Scorching 100, and “P.Y.T. (Fairly Younger Factor)” at quantity fifty-eight, which additionally made quantity sixty-nine on the Canadian Scorching 100.
- Seidman, Robert (February 8, 2011). “Tuesday Last Scores: ‘Glee’ Adjusted Up, ‘Elevating Hope’ Adjusted Down”. TV by the Numbers. TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved February 9, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (February 8, 2011). “TV Scores Tuesday: ‘Glee’ Does not See Tremendous Bump, ‘Site visitors Gentle’ Malfunctions; ‘V’ Inches Up; ‘Parenthood’ Drops”. TV by the Numbers. TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved February 8, 2011.
- Hibberd, James (February 7, 2011). “‘Glee’ Tremendous Bowl rankings are in! Largest scripted TV telecast in three years”. Leisure Weekly. Time Inc. Retrieved February 7, 2011.
- Lückerath, Thomas (June 16, 2010). ““Glee”-Chef: “Möchte gute Laune verbreiten““. DWDL.de. Retrieved February 9, 2011.
- Stack, Tim (December 10, 2010). “‘Glee’ unique: Manufacturing halted as a result of tonsillitis outbreak”. Leisure Weekly. Time Inc. Retrieved January 25, 2011.
- “2.12 Episode Title”. February 8, 2011. Archived from the unique on December 22, 2010. Retrieved December 18, 2010.
- Adalian, Josef (February 8, 2011). “Paul McCartney Reveals His Internal Gleek, Sends Ryan Murphy A Mixtape”. Vulture. Retrieved August 8, 2010.
- “(GLE-212) “Foolish Love Songs““. The Futon Critic (Press launch). Retrieved February 28, 2012.
- “Glee Forged:MP3 Downloads”. Amazon.com. Retrieved February 8, 2011.
- Semigran, Aly (February 8, 2011). “Glee Units ‘Firework’ Aside From ‘Foolish Love Songs’; Lea Michele’s Rachel belts her tackle Katy Perry’s shallowness anthem”. MTV. Viacom. Retrieved February 9, 2011.
- Corneau, Allison (February 8, 2011). “Katy Perry: Glee’s “Teenage Dream” Cowl Made Me Cry”. Us Weekly. Wenner Media. Retrieved November 10, 2010.
- “Glee: The Music, Quantity 5”. Amazon.com. Retrieved February 23, 2011.
- “Glee: The Music, Vol. 5”. iTunes Retailer United States. Apple Inc. Retrieved February 23, 2011.
- “Glee: The Music Presents The Warblers Accessible April 19” (Press launch). New York: Columbia Information. PR Newswire. March 23, 2011. Retrieved March 23, 2011.
- “High Applications – Complete Canada (English) February 7 – February 13, 2011” (PDF). BBM Canada. Archived from the unique (PDF) on July 6, 2011. Retrieved March 6, 2011.
- “High Applications – Complete Canada (English) January 31 – February 6, 2011” (PDF). BBM Canada. Archived from the unique (PDF) on December 15, 2011. Retrieved March 5, 2011.
- Dale, David (February 21, 2011). “The rankings race: Seven kills with kitchens and Rafters”. The Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. Retrieved March 6, 2011.
- Dale, David (February 14, 2011). “The rankings race: Superb scenes as Pay TV beats Channel 9”. The Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. Retrieved February 21, 2011.
- “Weekly High 30 Programmes”. BARB. Retrieved April 11, 2011.
- Futterman, Erica (February 8, 2011). “‘Glee’ Recap: ‘Foolish Love Songs’ Hits the Proper Observe”. Rolling Stone. Jann Wenner. Retrieved February 9, 2011.
- Hankinson, Bobby (February 9, 2011). “Glee: Fireworks fly for fats bottomed women and everybody else, too”. Houston Chronicle. Hearst Company. Retrieved February 9, 2011.
- Maerz, Melissa (February 8, 2011). “‘Glee’ recap: An ideal Valentine’s Day confection”. Los Angeles Instances. Tribune Firm. Retrieved February 9, 2011.
- Canning, Robert (February 8, 2011). “Glee: “Foolish Love Songs” Assessment”. IGN. Information Company. Retrieved February 9, 2011.
- Wyeth, Wyndham (February 8, 2011). “Glee Assessment: “Foolish Love Songs” (Episode 2.12)”. Paste. Paste Media Group. Retrieved February 10, 2011.
- VanDerWerff, Emily (February 8, 2011). ““Foolish Love Songs““. The A.V. Membership. The Onion. Retrieved February 8, 2011.
- Poniewozik, James (February 8, 2011). “Glee Watch: Your Kiss Is On My Record”. Time. Time Inc. Retrieved February 9, 2011.
- Richenthal, Matt (February 8, 2011). “Glee Assessment: A lot of Luck, Santana”. TV Fanatic. Retrieved February 8, 2011.
- Keller, Joel (February 8, 2011). “‘Glee’ Valentine’s Day Episode Recap”. TV Squad. Weblogs, Inc. Retrieved February 8, 2011.
- Roberts, Soraya (February 9, 2011). “‘Glee’ recap: ‘Foolish Love Songs’ has Puck falling for Lauren Zizes, Santana getting jealous”. Every day Information. Retrieved February 9, 2011.
- de Moraes, Lisa (February 8, 2011). “‘Glee’ Valentine’s Day: We watch so you do not have to”. The Washington Put up. The Washington Put up Firm. Retrieved February 9, 2011.
- Gonzalez, Sandra (February 8, 2011). “‘Glee’ recap: Be Mine? (No.) (Web page 4)”. Leisure Weekly. Time Inc. Retrieved February 9, 2011.
- Coachman, Kristin (February 8, 2011). “Music Assessment: Glee Forged – “Foolish Love Songs““. Seattle Put up-Intelligencer. Hearst Company. Retrieved February 9, 2011.
- Morgan, Katie (February 8, 2011). “‘Glee’ Salutes ‘Fats Bottomed Women,’ St. Valentine With ‘Foolish Love Songs‘“. Billboard. Prometheus International Media. Retrieved February 9, 2011.
- “Love was within the air on Glee”. The Marquee Weblog. CNN. February 8, 2011. Retrieved February 9, 2011.
- Berk, Brett (February 8, 2011). “The Homosexual Information to Glee: Season 2, Episode 12, “Foolish Love Songs““. Vainness Honest. Condé Nast Publications. Retrieved February 9, 2011.
- Belief, Gary (February 16, 2011). “Woman Gaga, ‘Glee’ Spotlight Historic Scorching 100 Week”. Billboard. Prometheus International Media. Retrieved February 16, 2011.
- Peak chart positions for season 2 singles in the USA: “Firework”, “Foolish Love Songs”, “Once I Get You Alone”, “Fats Bottomed Women”, and “P.Y.T. (Fairly Younger Factor)” “Scorching 100: Week of February 26, 2011 (Largest Leap)”. Billboard. Prometheus International Media. Retrieved July 5, 2011.
- “Canadian Scorching 100: Week of February 26, 2011 (Largest Leap)”. Billboard. Prometheus International Media. Retrieved July 5, 2011.