“I Will not Say (I am in Love)” is a tune written by composer Alan Menken and lyricist David Zippel for Walt Disney Photos‘ 35th animated function movie Hercules (1997). Included on the movie’s soundtrack, the tune is carried out by American actress and singer Susan Egan in her position as Meg, the movie’s heroine and Hercules‘ love curiosity, whereas singers Cheryl Freeman, Lillias White, Vaneese Y. Thomas, LaChanze and Roz Ryan present woman group-style backup vocals because the Muses.
“I Will not Say (I am in Love)” is a mid-tempo R&B and doo-wop ballad harking back to the 1950s music that comes with components of Motown music and teen pop. Comparable in type to songs recorded by American woman teams The Ronettes and The Supremes, its lyrics are about denying having romantic emotions for somebody and parody these of conventional love songs. In its accompanying musical sequence, Meg realizes that she has reluctantly begun to fall in love with Hercules however continually refuses to confess this. In the meantime, the Muses insist that she cease denying her emotions for him and embrace them as an alternative. “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” was written to interchange a slower, extra emotional ballad Menken had initially supposed for Meg, entitled “I Cannot Imagine My Coronary heart”; the tune was discarded as a result of Meg’s animator Ken Duncan felt that it didn’t complement her robust character. Menken primarily based “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” on songs he had written for his musical Little Store of Horrors (1982).
“I Will not Say (I am in Love)” has been positively obtained by each movie and music critics, who loved its woman group-inspired association, in addition to Egan’s sultry supply and the tune’s refreshing distinction from conventional Disney ballads; some critics even dubbed it the movie’s finest tune. Whereas not considered one of Disney’s hottest songs, “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” has developed a repute as one of many studio’s most underappreciated. American singer Belinda Carlisle recorded a pop rock model of “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” for the movie’s soundtrack. American woman group The Cheetah Ladies lined the tune in 2005.
Background and context
“I Will not Say (I am in Love)” was written by composer Alan Menken and lyricist David Zippel. Menken initially composed a “hovering” ballad entitled “I Cannot Imagine My Coronary heart” for Meg to sing within the movie, which he had supposed to function a solo that conveys the heroine falling in love with Hercules. Nevertheless, Meg’s supervising animator Ken Duncan disagreed with Menken’s tune as a result of he believed the character was “too powerful” and “hardened by life” to carry out such a gentle ballad. The writers agreed that Meg “wasn’t a ballad sort of woman.” Subsequently, Menken was prompted to write down “I Will not Say (I am in Love)”, the type of which he primarily based on a number of the woman group songs he had written for his stage musical Little Store of Horrors (1982), with which “I Cannot Imagine My Coronary heart” was finally changed. Though she loved the primary tune, actress and singer Susan Egan, who voices Meg, agreed that the slower “I Cannot Imagine My Coronary heart” was not appropriate for her character as a result of she felt that it was “too easy and literal”, whereas “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” expresses an identical that means, albeit “the way in which Meg would—with out admitting any of it.”
Egan joked that though “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” was “enjoyable” to carry out, she felt far more “white” than standard recording alongside the 5 singers forged because the Muses, who present the tune’s again up vocals. Conversant in singers Cheryl Freeman, Lillias White, Vaneese Y. Thomas, LaChanze and Roz Ryan‘s Broadway work, Egan felt intimated by their highly effective voices and riffing skills. Egan recalled, “Alan would say, ‘Okay Lillias (White), simply do a riff over there and LaChanze, you perform a little one thing over right here and Susan, simply on the finish, get from this notice to this notice and simply do a riff.’ I elevate my hand and I am like, ‘Umm, are you able to plunk it out on the piano?’ He appears to be like at me like, ‘Are you kidding?'” Whereas it took Egan half an hour to solidify solely considered one of her riffs, the opposite singers recorded a number of takes of theirs inside that very same time; Egan was tremendously humbled by the expertise. On the movie’s soundtrack, solely Egan and Freeman are credited as vocalists on the observe. Menken additionally produced the tune.Danny Troob organized the tune whereas Michael Kosarin carried out the orchestration.
Like most Disney heroines, Meg sings concerning the expertise of falling in love with the movie’s hero, a sense that Meg is simply too proud to confess. “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” expresses Meg’s conflicting emotions over Hercules, who she insists that she doesn’t love, just for her declare to be constantly disputed by the muses. Acknowledged as Meg’s signature tune, “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” has been recognized because the character’s “large second of romantic realization” in Hercules. Previous to “I Will not Say (I am in Love)”, the viewers has solely been uncovered to Meg’s cynicism; the tune lastly reveals that Meg’s cynicism is definitely a response to her romantic facet, uncovering the “misunderstood nature” of the character. “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” reveals that Meg has fallen in love too quick earlier than, a destructive expertise that has contributed to her hesitance and denial, and explains that she is afraid of repeating the identical mistake as soon as extra with Hercules. Regardless of her finest efforts, the character realizes that she has in reality begun to develop emotions for Hercules a lot to her chagrin, however at first refuses to confess this; the tune permits Meg to “work by way of her denial”, by “alternating between fantasizing about how pleasant it might be to be beloved by Herc, and stomping her foot in anger on the very thought.” Resembling an “admonishing” alternate between Meg and the Muses, “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” is Meg’s try and keep away from the clichéd storylines of her predecessors. Lastly, after strolling a Greek courtyard whereas performing the tune accompanied by the Muses who insist she is in denial, the character’s resistance finally proves futile and he or she finally relents, with the Muses “taunts her into honesty”. Based on Taylor Weatherby of Billboard, the character “lastly involves a conclusion to which many a woman (or man) can relate”. Tracy Dye of Bustle described the scene: “Joined by The Muses, Meg makes an attempt to vehemently deny her amour for Hercules”. Writing for movie critic Eric D. Snider’s web site, Kimber Kay joked that Meg “tries her finest to offer a high 40 rendition of her solo tune, nevertheless it will get stolen by the magnificent Muses.” Moreover, the musical quantity predicts that considered one of Hercules’ most troublesome challenges shall be attempting to alter Meg’s opinion of him. Writing for The Each day Dot, Aja Romano cited the tune as Meg’s “I Need” tune.
Music and lyrics
At two minutes and twenty seconds in size, “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” was written in the important thing of C main at a tempo of 100 beats per minute. Carried out “freely” within the type of a mellow, 1950s woman group tune, the ballad demonstrates Egan’s sultry vocals. Adhering to the R&B motif Menken employs all through the movie’s whole soundtrack, the pop tune incorporates doo-wop. That includes “cooing shooby-doos and sha-la-las” from the Muses, who carry out “gospel-tinged” again up vocals and riffs on the observe, Jeffrey Gantz of the Boston Phoenix in contrast Egan’s “hovering” vocals woman group The Ronettes. Describing “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” as “a standard Disney [heroine’s] lament,” Vulture.com‘s Lindsey Weber acknowledged its “distinctive Motown edge”, evaluating the Muses to The Supremes. Musically, Irving Tan of Sputnikmusic described the teen pop-influenced “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” as “the closest the Herculean villa ever involves approximating a Broadway present“. Ella Ceron of Thought Catalog known as the tune “a pop tune made on Olympus.” Figuring out the observe as a “self-aware ballad”, Thomas S. Hischak noticed that the tune maintains the comedic tone of the remainder of the soundtrack in his e book 100 Biggest American and British Animated Movies. Mixed, Egan and the Muses’ vocals span two octaves, from G3 to C5. Egan’s vocals are extra restrained than these of the actresses who voice Ariel from The Little Mermaid (1989) and Belle from Magnificence and the Beast (1991). Chelsea Fagan of Thought Catalog described Egan’s voice as “sarcastic” and “smoky”, whereas Billboard‘s Taylor Weatherby known as it “soulfully belt[ed]”. Allison Shoemaker of Consequence of Sound likened the Muses to a Greek refrain. Though the Muses are voiced by 5 singers, the tune is carried out in solely three-part concord.
Lyrically, “I Will not Say (I am in Love) is a love tune about denial, particularly one’s reluctance to fall in love or succumb to romantic clichés. Meg voices how cliché and inadequate love can really feel. Parodying basic love songs, “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” differs in type from typical Disney love songs by providing “a novel spin” on the singer’s state of affairs. Rob Burch of The Hollywood Information dubbed “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” an “anti-love tune”. Described as an “emotional barnstormer”, the tune begins with Egan singing the lyrics “If there is a prize for rotten judgment I assume I’ve already gained that”, which is adopted by “Been there, carried out that”.Thought Catalog‘s Chelsea Fagan believes the primary verse “sums up in 4 traces every thing that we’ve ever tried to convey whereas on our third drink out on the bar with the women”, joking, “I imagine this tune would come shortly after dancing in a circle with all ladies, however simply earlier than the tearful texting of your ex”. Meg additionally sings the road “My head is screaming ‘get a grip, woman!’ except you are dying to cry your coronary heart out.” Evaluating the background vocals to the work of The Blossoms, Musicological Identities: Essays in Honor of Susan McClary writer Jacqueline Warwick noticed that the backup singers continually contradict the lead singer in a name and response, proving essential to the theme because the lead vocalist is denying precisely what the background singers and listeners imagine. The Muses counsel that Meg “Face it like a grown-up/Whenever you gonna personal up that you simply acquired acquired acquired it dangerous.”
Kate Knibbs of The Ringer summarized the observe as “a love tune from somebody who doesn’t wish to be in love, who is aware of sufficient to imagine issues aren’t going to work out.” Fagan believes the tune expresses “the hesitancy savvy ladies in every single place really feel when attempting to cease themselves from falling head over heels”. Gantz described the Muses’ line “Face it like a grown-up/When ya gonna personal up/That ya acquired acquired acquired it dangerous?” as “admonishing”. Calling the tune a “self-aware ballad”, The Oxford Companion to the American Musical: Theatre, Movie, and Tv writer Thomas S. Hischak noticed that its lyrics are “stuffed with sly anachronisms“. In the meantime, in his e book The Disney Track Encyclopedia, Hischak referred to “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” as a “contradictory love tune … by which Meg denies her true emotions but admits that she is kind of taken with the brawny and naive hero Hercules”. Based on D23, “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” is a love tune “For many who don’t wish to admit their hearts’ wishes,” because the protagonist refuses to confess her true emotions for her love curiosity till the final lyric. Regardless of being a parody of affection songs, “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” is nonetheless thought-about to be a love tune itself. The tune’s final line is: “No less than out loud, I gained’t say I’m in love.”
On its theater launch in 1997, the film numbered 30 dubbings worldwide, to which 5 extra the place added within the following years, elevating the variety of official variations to 35. Barbara Cola, Italian voice of Megara, together with the entire Italian forged of the film, was awarded finest overseas dubbing by Disney.
Mimi Félixine, European French voice of Megara, Saule Iskokova, Russian voice of Megara for the spoken components solely, and Gihan Elnaser, Megara’s singing voice in Arabic, additionally supplied the voice of Calliope each for the spoken and sung components.
Highlighted variations had been launched later than 1997
“I Will not Say (I am in Love)” has garnered optimistic opinions from each movie and music critics, a few of whom recognized it because the movie’s finest tune. Aja Romano of The Each day Dot hailed the tune as Hercules‘ spotlight that “satisfies us each time”. Writing for Indiewire, Greg Ehbar cited “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” as his favourite observe, describing it as one of many movie’s “really nice tunes”. Irving Tan of Sputnikmusic was significantly complementary in direction of the tune, which he hailed as “the final word pantheon of Grecian achievement”. Tan continued, “the 5 Muses prov[e] that their pillow discuss abilities are proper up there with one of the best of them”, concluding, “The observe additionally works properly as a substitute for fashionable pop’s teenage heartbreak music“, advising listeners to “ditch Hilary Duff and play this as an alternative”. Tracy Dye of Bustle hailed the observe as “considered one of Disney’s most addictive items of ear-candy,” appreciating the truth that “it veers from the standard love-laced ballads we’re used to.” Rob Burch of The Hollywood Information known as “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” a “refreshing change of tempo”.
Beamly ranked the tune fifth on the web site’s checklist of “Finest Ever Disney Songs”, with writer Sophie Corridor nicknaming Meg “The Celine Dion of the cartoon world”.BuzzFeed ranked “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” 14th in its “Definitive Rating Of The 102 Finest Animated Disney Songs”. BuzzFeed additionally ranked the tune Disney’s ninth biggest love tune, whereas D23 named it 10th in an identical rating.Billboard ranked the tune the 21st finest tune of the Disney Renaissance.Consequence of Sound ranked the ballad the 61st finest Disney tune of all time, with contributor Allison Shoemaker describing the observe as “a terrific Motown ballad and a fantastic piece of musical character growth”. Rating it Disney’s 36th finest tune, The Ringer welcomed “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” as “a refreshing change of tempo for Disney” that in flip makes Meg “a relatable queen.”
“I Will not Say (I am in Love)” has garnered a repute as considered one of Disney’s most underrated songs, with the New York Publish together with it on their checklist of Disney’s finest underrated songs. Whereas rating the observe the 16th finest tune of the Disney Renaissance, Syfy Wire‘s Caitlin Busch known as Meg “an underrated heroine with an underrated love tune”, which she described as “humorous, poignant, and an ideal transition tune.” The writer recognized “Face it like a grown-up/Whenever you gonna personal up that you simply acquired acquired acquired it dangerous” as its finest lyric.The Odyssey ranked the observe Disney’s most underrated tune, out of 13.Moviepilot included the tune in an identical article, with writer Jeremiah Paul describing it as a “hidden gem” which “ought to have been one other basic”, whereas praising Egan’s efficiency. In an interview with The FADER, members of American rapper Probability the Rapper‘s band The Social Experiment ranked “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” one of many favourite Disney songs from their childhood, calling it “an incredible tune”.
Cowl variations and reside performances
To advertise the movie, American singer Belinda Carlisle recorded a pop rock model of “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” in 1997, which was included on the movie’s soundtrack in alongside Egan’s unique. Produced by Gary Wallis and Toby Chapman, Carlisle’s rendition was launched as a single completely in France and Germany, on Could 26, 1997. The one garnered important acclaim.
American woman group The Cheetah Ladies recorded a canopy of the tune for the 2005 compilation album Disneymania 3. Their model exchanges harmonizing for handclaps whereas emphasizing the pop elements of the tune with components of R&B. The quilt was launched as a single. Writing for idobi, Sam Devotta felt that The Cheetah Ladies’ model “lacks the ability [and frustration] of the unique”, preferring Egan’s interpretation.
An abridged model of “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” seems on stage within the jukebox musical Disney’s on the File, carried out by Andrew Samonsky, with Meredith Inglesby, Andy Karl, Tyler Maynard and Keewa Nurullah offering backup vocals. Singer and music trainer Evynne Hollens launched a canopy of “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” as a single in 2017. Egan carried out “I Will not Say (I am in Love)” reside on the 2017 D23 Expo to conclude the occasion’s “Zero to Hero: The Making of Hercules” panel. The unique animated sequence was performed within the background whereas Egan sang, accompanied by backup vocals. The efficiency was met with a standing ovation from the viewers.
- Disney’s Princess Assortment – Full (Songbook). United States: Hal Leonard Company. 2002. ISBN 9781458449719 – by way of Google Books.
- Hill, Jim (October 19, 2012). “Disney favourite Susan Egan to carry out this Sunday afternoon at LBCC’s Music Scholarship Gala Live performance”. Jim Hill Media. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- Roulette, Matthew. “The 10 Finest Disney Songs You have By no means Heard”. TheFW. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- “18 Finest Disney Songs You have By no means Heard”. Glamour. Could 15, 2013. Archived from the unique on March 6, 2016. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- Dickens, Donna (Could 13, 2013). “18 Finest Disney Songs You have By no means Heard”. BuzzFeed. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- Miles, Jim (September 29, 2008). “Jim appears to be like at some missed treasures from current Disney music and DVD releases”. LaughingPlace.com. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- “Susan Egan: Belle, Meg, Glamour and Goop – Half 2”. The Mouse Fortress. August 1, 2012. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- Batdorf, Rodney (Could 27, 1997). “Alan Menken – Hercules [Original Soundtrack]”. Allmusic. All Media Community, LLC. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- “Alan Menken, David Zippel – Disney’s Hercules (An Authentic Walt Disney Data Soundtrack)”. Discogs. Discogs. 1997. Retrieved March 4, 2016.
- “Alan Menken, David Zippel – Disney’s Hercules (An Authentic Walt Disney Data Soundtrack)”. Discogs. Discogs. Retrieved June 18, 2016.
- Hicken, Jackie (April 6, 2014). “15 Disney songs that had been reduce earlier than they ever made it onto the massive display screen”. Deseret Information. Retrieved September 22, 2017.
- C, Sandy (2017). “The 30 finest Disney songs”. Hidden Distant. Retrieved December 15, 2018.
- Warwick, Jacqueline (2017). Musicological Identities: Essays in Honor of Susan McClary. United Kingdom: Routledge. p. 74. ISBN 9781351556750 – by way of Google Books.
- Fetters, Sarah Michelle (August 12, 2014). “Hercules (1997) – Particular Version (Blu-ray)”. MovieFreak.com. MovieFreak.com. Archived from the unique on March 8, 2016. Retrieved March 6, 2016.
- “Prime Ten: Underrated Disney Songs”. Oh That Movie Weblog. September 10, 2013. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- “The Prime 50 Disney Songs”. Earn This. Could 13, 2014. Retrieved June 16, 2016.
- Maccani, Chelsea (Jun 5, 2017). “Underrated Disney Songs You Completely Forgot About”. Sweety Excessive. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- Miller, Gregory E. (March 18, 2014). “One of the best (and probably the most underrated) Disney songs”. New York Publish. Retrieved March 2, 2016.
- Weber, Lindsey (July 25, 2014). “Disney’s Hercules Is an Underrated Masterpiece”. Vulture.com. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- Devotta, Sam (November 16, 2016). “(Un)Coated: I Will not Say (I am in Love)”. idobi. Retrieved July 22, 2017.
- Gantz, Jeffrey (June 26, 1997). “Disney’s Hercules is a heroic effort”. Boston Phoenix. Retrieved March 2, 2016.
- Weatherby, Taylor (March 15, 2017). “Each Track From the Disney Renaissance (1989-’99), Ranked: Critics’ Take”. Billboard. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- “So That is Love: Prime 20 Disney Love Songs”. Chip and Co. ChipandCo.com. November 3, 2014. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- Shoemaker, Allison; Suzanne-Meyer, Dominick (March 15, 2017). “Rating: Each Disney Track From Worst to Finest”. Consequence of Sound. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- Dye, Tracy (July 10, 2015). “7 Causes Meg From ‘Hercules’ Is The Most Underrated Disney Heroine Ever”. Bustle. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- Snider, Eric D. “Hercules”. www.ericdsnider.com. Retrieved March 2, 2016.
- “Hercules (Ron Clements and John Musker, 1997) Evaluate”. Opinionated Film-Goer. June 6, 2014. Retrieved March 6, 2016.
- Romano, Aja (December 11, 2015). “The definitive rating of Disney ‘Need Songs‘“. The Each day Dot. Retrieved July 6, 2016.
- “Hercules – An Authentic Walt Disney Data Soundtrack – Varied Artists”. iTunes. 1997. Retrieved March 4, 2016.
- Menken, Alan; Zippel, David (1997). “I Will not Say (I am In Love) – From Walt Disney’s Hercules – Digital Sheet Music”. Musicnotes.com. Walt Disney Music Publishing. Retrieved March 2, 2016.
- Tan, Irving (January 29, 2011). “Soundtrack (Disney) – Hercules”. Sputnikmusic. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- Dequina, Michael (June 26, 1997). “Hercules (G)”. The Film Report. Retrieved March 2, 2016.
- Brayton, Timothy (December 2, 2009). “Disney Animation: A Child with His Act Down Pat”. Antagony & Ecstasy. Archived from the unique on March 7, 2016. Retrieved March 2, 2016.
- Ceron, Ella (February 24, 2014). “The 16 Most Superior Feminine Characters From Disney Films”. Thought Catalog. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- Ehrbar, Greg (August 10, 2014). “Blu-ray Evaluate: Disney’s Hercules and Tarzan”. Indiewire. Archived from the unique on March 7, 2016. Retrieved March 2, 2016.
- Hischak, Thomas S. (2018). 100 Biggest American and British Animated Movies. United States: Rowman & Littlefield. p. 137. ISBN 9781538105696 – by way of Google Books.
- Hale, Daniel (February 1, 2011). “Dissed By Disney: The Forgotten Princesses”. The DisGeek Podcast. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- Fagan, Chelsea (Could 10, 2011). “The 5 Most Refreshingly Sincere Disney Songs”. Thought Catalog. Retrieved June 16, 2016.
- Block, Tara (November 13, 2015). “Really feel the Love Tonight With This Romantic Disney Playlist”. Popsugar. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- Floro, Marty (April 30, 2016). “5 Underrated Disney Songs”. One Music PH. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- “Hercules Evaluate”. Wizard Dojo. April 20, 2015. Retrieved March 6, 2016.
- Burch, Rob (September 11, 2013). “Disney 53: Hercules”. The Hollywood Information. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- Corridor, Sophie (January 7, 2016). “One of the best ever Disney songs: Ranked”. Beamly. Archived from the unique on 2016-05-08. Retrieved April 26, 2016.
- Busch, Caitlin (Could 22, 2019). “Each Disney Renaissance Interval Track, Ranked”. Syfy Wire. Retrieved January 19, 2020.
- Knibbs, Kate (July 17, 2019). “The 40 Finest Disney Songs, Ranked”. The Ringer. Retrieved January 19, 2020.
- Hischak, Thomas S (2008). The Oxford Companion to the American Musical: Theatre, Movie, and Tv. United States: Oxford College Press. p. 338. ISBN 9780195335330 – by way of Google Books.
- Hischak, Thomas; Robinson, Mark A (2009). The Disney Track Encyclopedia. United States: Scarecrow Press. p. 91. ISBN 9780810869387 – by way of Google Books.
- “Prime 10 Disney Love Songs”. D23. Disney. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- “45 Disney Love Songs for Valentine’s Day and Past”. virtualsheetmusic.com. Digital Sheet Music, Inc. February 8, 2019. Retrieved February 8, 2019.
- “Megara”. CHARGUIGOU. Retrieved 2020-02-09.
- “The Muses”. CHARGUIGOU. Retrieved 2020-02-09.
- Zafar, Aylin (April 21, 2014). “The Definitive Rating Of The 102 Finest Animated Disney Songs”. BuzzFeed. Retrieved March 2, 2016.
- Newman, Heather (February 5, 2014). “The Definitive Rating Of Disney Love Songs”. BuzzFeed. Retrieved March 2, 2016.
- Maccani, Chelsea (Jun 5, 2017). “Underrated Disney Songs You Completely Forgot About”. Sweety Excessive. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- McNulty, Ashley (October 31, 2016). “13 Of The Most Underrated Disney Songs”. The Odyssey. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- Paul, Jeremiah (August 24, 2015). “10 Of the Most Underrated Disney Songs of All Time!”. Moviepilot. Retrieved March 2, 2016.
- Trammel, Matthew. “The Definitive Disney Songs Of Our Childhood, In accordance To The Social Experiment”. The FADER. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- “Belinda Carlisle – I Will not Say (I am In Love)”. Discogs. Discogs. Retrieved Could 25, 2016.
- “Belinda Carlisle – I Will not Say (I am In Love)”. Discogs. Discogs. Retrieved Could 25, 2016.
- “Belinda Carlisle”. Radio Swiss Basic. Retrieved March 29, 2017.
- “I Will not Say (I am In Love) – Belinda Carlisle”. Amazon.com. Archived from the unique on 2017-03-30. Retrieved March 29, 2017.
- “Belinda Carlisle releasing singles assortment”. Music-Information.com. July 6, 2015. Retrieved March 29, 2017.
Critically lauded nuggets akin to I Gained’t Say I’m In Love (from Disney’s Hercules)…
- “Disneymania Three Enhanced, Compilation”. Amazon.ca. Amazon.com, Inc. Retrieved Could 25, 2016.
- McCann, Bob (2009). Encyclopedia of African American Actresses in Movie and Tv. United States: McFarland. p. 361. ISBN 9780786458042.
- “I Will not Say (I am in Love) – Single”. iTunes. Could 15, 2017. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- Quick, Dan (August 4, 2017). “2017 D23 Expo Unique”. Animated Views. Retrieved August 28, 2018.
- Ginther, Becky (September 26, 2017). “Zero to Hero: The making of Hercules on the D23 Expo 2017”. Disney in your Day. Retrieved August 28, 2018.
- “Each Magical Second From D23 Expo 2017”. D23. July 17, 2017. Retrieved August 28, 2018.